Summer is here! Time to take a break from work and get away to that vacation you had planned. Here are 8 tips to stay healthy when you’re on vacation.
- PLAN ACTIVITIES IN ADVANCE. Planning activities in advance could ease some stress. For example, if you enjoy snorkeling excursions, then you may need to make a reservation in advance to hold your spot.
- PROTECT YOUR SKIN. Protect your skin by applying sunscreen with minimum SPF 30 before you head out and reapply every two hours. If you’re in an area with mosquitoes, then make sure you wear insect repellent to prevent bites.
- CARRY HAND SANITIZER OR WET WIPES. This comes in handy when you don’t have access to soap and water, especially during outdoor expeditions.
- PACK HEALTHY NON-PERISHABLE SNACKS. Also known as “emergency food.” If you’re going to be out all day, make sure you pack snacks like a protein bar, nuts, or dried fruit, just in case it will be hours before you sit down to a meal.
- STAY HYDRATED. This seems obvious, but you would be surprised how many people don’t remember to pack water. Don’t want to carry a plastic water bottle all day? Collapsible soft bottles are easier to carry.
- DRESS IN LAYERS. If you’re out all day, the weather may change so you’ll want to be prepared. Either dress in layers or pack extra clothing in your bag or backpack.
- MODERATE YOUR ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION. You’re on vacation, of course you’re going to indulge a bit. Keep in mind, however, that drinking too much alcohol can not only pack on the calories, but also affect your quality of sleep.
- GET A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP. After a long day of being active, make sure you get a good night’s sleep. Your body needs the rest from all of the physical stress you have encountered that day.
Health tip provided by Leslie Czarny.