Gratitude – the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness. – Oxford Dictionary
National Gratitude Month is celebrated every November and focuses on the positive rather than the negative. Focusing on the positive helps improve our physical and mental well-being. As we approach the holidays, it’s the perfect time to show gratitude and make someone smile.
Here are 7 scientifically proven benefits:
- Gratitude opens the door to more relationships.
- Gratitude improves physical health.
- Gratitude improves psychological health.
- Gratitude enhances empathy and reduces aggression.
- Grateful people sleep better.
- Gratitude improves self-esteem.
- Gratitude increases mental strength.
Here are examples of showing gratitude:
- Being present and an active listener.
- Expressing your gratitude to others.
- Giving to others without expecting anything in return.
- Smiling – it can be contagious.
- Giving someone a hug.
- Handwriting letters of encouragement.
- Performing a random act of kindness.