Staying hydrated is essential for good health. Here are five reasons why focusing on hydration is important:
1. It could help with weight management: It is very common to mistake thirst for hunger. Water helps to fill your belly without calories. Studies show that when participants drank a glass of water before a meal, they lost weight faster than those who did not.
2. It can make you feel more energized: Fatigue is one of the first signs of dehydration. The next time you feel tired, reach for water instead of coffee!
3. It may help prevent headaches: For some people, not drinking enough water causes headaches and dehydration is a known trigger for migraines. In a study on water and headaches, participants found headache relief within 30 minutes of drinking 2 cups of water.
4. It can improve concentration: Dehydration causes the brain to work harder than when we are well hydrated. One study found that when students brought water to their exam, they did better.
5. It is good for digestion: Drinking enough water prevents constipation. It also helps the kidneys and liver work better by helping to flush out waste products.
How much water should you drink every day?
We all know the common recommendation is to drink eight, 8 ounce glasses per day. This may be enough for some, but not sufficient for all.
Read about the many factors that affect fluid needs in this link: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256
Other than water, how else can you stay hydrated?
Fruits and vegetables are wonderful sources of hydration too! Learn more here: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/list-fruits-vegetable-high-water-content-8958.html