Eating the rainbow involves eating fruits and vegetables of different colors every day. Fruits and vegetables contain pigments, or phytonutrients, that give them colors. The colors are linked to various health benefits and typically provide additional nutrients when eaten. By “eating the rainbow,” an individual will increase their intake of different nutrients to benefit multiple areas of their health. All fruits and vegetables provide your body with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits, but here is an overview of all the additional health benefits of eating different colored fruits and vegetables.
– Red – reduces the risk of heart disease and certain cancers; reduces sun-related skin damage; and improves brain function
– Yellow & Orange – supports eye health; reduces the risk of heart disease and cancer; important role in maintaining skin health; boosting your immunity; and building strong bones
– Green – lowers the risk of cancer and heart disease; protects against high levels of bad cholesterol; regulates digestion; and immune system functioning
– Blue & Purple – help improve brain function; lower the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and certain cancers; promote healthy aging; and regulates a healthy digestion
– Dark Red –supports athletic performance through increased oxygen uptake; helps lower the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, and certain cancers
– White & Brown – help lower the risk of heart disease, colon cancer, and other cancers; help reduce the level of bad cholesterol in your body; and high blood pressure